Monday, February 15, 2016

Just be... SSS One Layer

This weekend allowed me some time in the craft room, but most of that time was spent working on a large order of Color Me Thankful cards for a friend.  

In between stages of card-making, I ventured to the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog to see what Simon Says this week...
Simon Says One Layer!  


Layering mats of cardstock is such a great way to add depth, color and texture to cards, so making a card with just one layer can be more difficult that you think.  

I decided to use WPlus9's Happy Birds set that came in the mail this week for this challenge, and came up with several different ways to use these fun birds for this challenge.  



First, I used this funny little guy as the focal point.  He has the same pose that I use to soak up the sun when we haven't seen it in a while! 



The clouds, also from Happy Birds, are great for masking to double them up.  I used VersaMark Dazzle for the clouds, but they just didn't come out dark enough for me... next time, I'll pull out the ink that coordinates with the SU Marina Mist cardstock.  Verve's "just be" at the bottom of the card is also stamped with the VersaMark Dazzle.  


 Since this card didn't turn out quite as well as I hoped, I tried again... 
I used another of the cute Happy Birds and posed him sitting on a wire again.  The "trees" at the bottom are made using the same wire and the two leaves that come with the set.  












Since I chose to keep the solitary bird again, I kept with the "just be" sentiment.  I placed it inside with a few clouds.  

I can't wait to play with Happy Birds more!  

On another note, did you notice the cute box in the photos above?  I came across an old iPhone box the other day and just couldn't bring myself to throw it away. Turns out, it's the perfect size to store sponge daubers.  


Because the box is so tight, and fairly difficult to open, I glued ribbon on either side as tabs.  This gives more of a finger hold and makes it easier to open.  


With this crafty little upcycle, I'm entering the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.  The SSS Monday Challenge theme is vintage, and this week they prompted participants to upcycle/recycle something that otherwise would've been trash.  Perfect! 


Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At February 17, 2016 at 1:57 PM , Blogger jenn shurkus said...

these cards are so sweet- and I love your organizer for the daubers! :) I am a bit late in my commenting, but thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!!

 
At February 21, 2016 at 6:06 PM , Blogger cheiron said...

So cute and what a great way to upcyle! Thank you so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog this week!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home